Vandalism involves intentional defacing or damaging property, which includes cars. It is extremely inconvenient and often upsetting to have someone vandalize your car.

And, not to mention, it can be quite expensive. Repairing and/or repainting your car can add up. So, if you have a car that’s been vandalized, you may wonder if your car insurance policy can help cover costs.

Car insurance has different coverages, and things that happened to your car that are not your fault mostly fall under comprehensive and collision coverage. 

Is it possible to have car insurance cover the costs of vandalism if you have these two or other types of car insurance coverage?

Here in this article, we will tell you if car insurance will provide coverage for vandalism. 

Does Car Insurance Cover Vandalism?

The short answer is yes, car insurance provides coverage for vandalism if you have comprehensive car insurance coverage. Certain types of auto insurance policies only cover vandalism.

If your car is vandalized, your car insurance will pay for the damage, but only if you have comprehensive coverage.

Comprehensive auto insurance is the only type of policy required by law to cover vandalism. However, even if you have comprehensive car insurance, there are a few things you should be aware of.

Comprehensive car insurance protects you against the various types of damage that can occur to your vehicle while it is not in use. This includes vandalism, theft, and damage caused by the weather.

Car insurance companies consider vandalism to include anything from kicking a headlight to slashing a tire to smashing a window to keying a vehicle in their estimation. On the other hand, accidental or unintentional damage is not considered vandalism.

How To Get Coverage For Vandalism

If you suspect that your car has been vandalized, take pictures of the damage and file a police report before contacting your car insurance company to file a compensation claim.

It’s critical to determine whether the cost of repairs will be greater than the deductible amount before proceeding. The deductible must first be met before any payouts can be made under comprehensive insurance. If the repairs are less expensive than the deductible, it is more cost-effective to pay for them out of pocket.

However, even though comprehensive coverage will cover vandalism, it may not be the most cost-effective option if the damage to your vehicle is not severe. When filing a car insurance claim for vandalism damage, it’s important to remember that comprehensive coverage typically requires you to pay a deductible out of pocket, typically $500 or $1,000.

After you’ve paid your deductible, your comprehensive coverage will only cover the costs of repairs up to the coverage amount.

On the other hand, certain states do not require you to pay a deductible for “safety glass replacement.” Suppose you live in a state with no deductible for safety glass repair and your windshield was smashed and vandalized. You would not be required to pay any out-of-pocket expenses because there would be no deductible to pay.

Leave a Reply